10+1 things you need to know about water resistant smartphones
Sony has launched a series of water resistant smartphones like Sony Xperia Z2. Before ruining your phone with bad usage, take a look on the conditions the device can handle and these it can’t.
10+1 things to know if your device is water resistant
1. To ensure the water resistance of your device, all covers, including the covers for the micro USB port, the SIM card slot and the memory card slot, must be firmly closed.
2. Sony Xperia Z2 is waterproof and dust resistant in compliance with the Ingress Protection (IP) ratings IP55 and IP58. So this rating mean that your device is dust resistant and is protected against low pressure water stream as well as against the effects of immersion for 30 minutes in fresh (non-saline) water up to 1.5 metres deep.
3. You can use your device
• in dusty environments, for example, on a windy beach.
• when your fingers are wet.
• in some extreme weather conditions, for example, when it’s snowing or raining.
• in fresh (non-saline) water depths of 1.5 metres or less, for example, in a fresh water lake or river.
• in a chlorinated swimming pool.
4. Avoid exposing your device unnecessarily to environments with excessive dust, sand and mud or to moist environments with extreme high or low temperatures.
5. The waterproof ability of the micro USB port, the SIM card slot, the memory card slot and the headset jack cannot be guaranteed in all environments or conditions.
6. Never immerse your device in salt water or let the micro USB port or headset jack come in contact with salt water. For example, if you’re at the beach, remember to keep your device away from the sea water.
7. Never expose the device to any liquid chemicals. For example, if you’re washing dishes by hand using liquid detergent, avoid bringing your device in contact with the detergent. After exposure to non-fresh water, rinse your device using fresh water.
8. Normal wear and tear along with damage to your device can reduce its ability to resist dust or moisture. After using the device in water, dry off the areas around all covers, including the covers for the micro USB port, the SIM card slot and the memory card slot.
9. If the speaker or microphone get wet, their function may be impacted until the water has completely dried. Please note that the drying time can be up to three hours depending on the environment. During this time, you can, however, use other features in the device that do not utilise the speaker or microphone.
10. All compatible accessories, including batteries, chargers, handsfree devices and micro USB cables, are not waterproof and dust resistant on their own.
WARRANTY RULE: Your warranty does not cover damage or defects caused by abuse or improper use of your device (including use in environments where the relevant IP rating limitations are exceeded).